The Video Systems group coordinates all work in the Video domain. Where relevant, dedicated groups are created to work on topics in more detail.
Currently the following deliverables are planned (green indicates the deliverable has already been delivered). Note that deliverables are dependent on enough participation in the work and that the planning is subject to change. New deliverables are added regularly.
- UHDTV (incl. HDR & NGA) Survey 2020 (Q1 2021)
- Aspect Ratios guidance (Q1 2021)
- EBU Tech 3325 update (Q1 2021)
- Real-time, Mezannine Codecs Tests (Q1 2021)
- EBU Production Codes tests report Apple (Q2 2021)
- Production Codecs implementation tests (Q2 2021)
- Addition of QC Tests on IMF (Q4 2021)
- Lens testing guidance (Q4 2021)
- EBU BPN 120 - UHDTV/NGA survey results (Q1 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 UHDTV HDR Colour Bars (Q1 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 TIFF files (Q2 2020)
- EBU Production Codes tests plan (Q2 2020)
- EBU Production Codes tests report Avid (Q2 2020)
- EBU Production Codes tests report Panasonic (Q2 2020)
- EBU Production Codes tests report Sony (Q2 2020)
- Survey of interest in Archives work (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 v210 files (in Quicktime) (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3375 - HDR over 3G-SDI (guidance) (Q2 2020)
- EBU R 103 v3.0 - Video Signal Ranges explained (Q2 2020)
- EBU HLG Colour Bars Webinar (video recording publicly available) (Q2 2020)
- Dialogue Enhancement roundtable (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 v210 files (in Quicktime) v2.0 (Q3 2020)
- HDR implementations testing report (Resolve) (Q3 2020)
- EBU Tech Roundtable on Aspect Ratios (Q3 2020)
- EBU EOTF Test Chart (Q4 2020)
- EBU EOTF Test Chart - TIFF implementation (Q4 2020)
- EBU EOTF Test Chart - ProRes implementation (Q4 2020)
- EBU Tech Report 047 - HDR monitors testing report (Q1 2019)
- HFR Subjective Evaluations (Q1 2019) - PTS 2019 results presentation (EBU Members only)
- VMAF Subjective Evaluations (Q1 2019) - PTS 2019 results presentation (EBU Members only)
- EBU Tech Report 050 - HFR Subjective Evaluations report (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3372 - UHD/HDR Service Parameters (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3320 - User Requirements for Video Monitors in Television Production v4.1 (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3325s1 - Test Colours for Grade1 HDR Monitors (Q3 2019)
- EBU HDR Live Production Workshop (Q4 2019)
- AR 'Proof of Concept' applications (5 different ones) (Q1 2018)
- VR Proof of Concept app (Q1 2018)
- EBU BPN 115 - Augmented Reality - A first guide for broadcasters (Q1 2018)
- AV1 vs JEM vs HEVC subjective tests (Q1 2018)
- UHD/HDR in distribution webinar (Q1 2018)
- EBU Tech Review on software for creating CG-based videos and AR/VR apps (Q2 2018)
- Sharing of Montreux Jazz HDR test material with EBU Members (Q2 2018)
- HDR production monitors testing (Q2 2018)
- IMF Fact Sheet (Q3 2018)
- Quality Control Fact Sheet (Q3 2018)
- UHD-HDR-HFR-NGA tests during EAC 2018 (Q3 2018)
- Detailed updates of existing QC Tests (Q4 2018)
- NLE User Group (Q4 2018)
- Sharing of EAC Berlin 2018 UHD-HDR-HFR-NGA test material (Q4 2018)
- Update of EBU R 129 'Avoding screen burn-in' (Q4 2018)
- EBU IMF Workshop (Q2 2017)
- AR broadcasters survey (Q3-Q4 2017)
- Report on 'IMF for broadcasters' (Q3 2017)
- IMF Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- Update of EBU R 095 'Safe Areas' (Q3 2017)
- Quality Control Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- EBU Tech 3320 'Professional Video Monitor Requirements' HDR update (Q3 2017)
- Video Monitors Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- Creation of UHD HDR Test Material + Making Of video (Q3 2017)
- Virtual Reality Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- EBU User Group on VR (Q3 2017 - Q3 2018)
- Implementation of an API for EBU.IO/QC (Q4 2017)
- EBU BPN 114 - Initial Guide on HDR (Q4 2017)
- Exchange of UHD / HDR test files (XAVC) to verify metadata settings (since Q4 2017)*
* To have access to the files, EBU Members need to first join the Video Systems Group.
We welcome your active participation in Video Systems (see key deliverables we work on above) and/or its related groups: QC, Subtitling. Depending on your EBU Membership status, restrictions may apply. You may also be interested to join the EBU NLE User Group (EBU Members only).
The EBU Video Systems group deals with all aspects of video images, image quality and quality assessment, specifically concerning HDTV, UHDTV, High Dynamic Range and High Frame Rates as well as emerging immersive image systems.
Taking an end-to-end approach from production to distribution and the consumer, the work encompasses all aspects of video processing, investigating production codecs, related file formats and wrappers (e.g. MXF, IMF), workflows and access services and also evaluating practicality and cost aspects.
The Video Systems group provides strategic and technical advice and, through active collaboration with industry and standards bodies such as DVB, ITU-R, SMPTE, and W3C, helps to ensure broadcaster requirements are reflected in future media applications and services.
See the 'activities' section for the curently planned deliverables.
EBU Video Systems consists of two parts:
- VS-ALL, which is open to all industry professionals (including equipment manufacturers, research organizations, etc.)
- VS-EBU, which is restricted to EBU Members (public service media organizations)
When you join EBU Video Systems, you are automatically added to the appropriate e-mail reflector(s) and given access to the relevant workspaces and other tools.
How we work
The actual work is performed via the e-mail reflector(s) and using additional tools where needed.
At least one Video Systems webex per month is held with EBU Members and at least one Webex every two months with the wider group. These webexes are used to coordinate the work and keep all in-sync regarding the latest activitities.
If you have any questions/need help, please contact the coordinator: Frans de Jong (EBU).