The Video Systems group coordinates all work in the Video domain. Where relevant, dedicated groups are created to work on topics in more detail. See the overview here.
Currently the following deliverables are planned (green indicates the deliverable has already been delivered). Note that deliverables are dependent on enough participation in the work and that the planning is subject to change. New deliverables are added regularly.
- EBU Tech 3325 - Methods for the Measurement of the performance of Studio Monitors v2.0 (Q1 2022)
- EBU Tech 3325s2 - Measurement of Studio Monitors supplement 2 (Q1 2022)
- Performance measurement of Studio monitors - Test patterns 1-5 (Q1 2022)
- Componentized workflows Webinar - Benefits and features (Q2 2022)
- Show & Tell on IMF support in production tools - Rohde & Schwarz (Q2 2022)
- IMF Quality Control (QC) Webinar - DPP update (Q3 2022)
- Performance measurement of Studio Monitors - Test Pattern 6 (Q4 2022)
- (HDR) Video monitors measurement (Q4 2022)
- Cameras & lens testing guidance (Q4 2022)
- UHDTV Glossary (Q1 2021)
- HDR workflows in Adobe Creative Cloud - Webinar (Q2 2021)
- EBU R 153 - Parameters for Live Contribution of UHD/HDR Programmes (Q3 2021)
- EBU R 154 - Parameters for UHD/HDR programmes exchanged as files (Q3 2021)
- EBU R 155 - Archival of Vertical Aspect Ratio Video (Q4 2021)
- Regular meetings to share HDR production experiences (Q2-Q4 2021)
- EBU BPN 120 - UHDTV/NGA survey results (Q1 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 - UHDTV HDR Colour Bars (Q1 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 - TIFF files (Q2 2020)
- EBU BPN 121-124s1 - Production Codes tests plan (Q2 2020)
- EBU BPN 121 - Production Codes tests report Avid (Q2 2020)
- EBU BPN 122 - Production Codes tests report Panasonic (Q2 2020)
- EBU BPN 123 - Production Codes tests report Sony (Q2 2020)
- Survey of interest in Archives work (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 - v210 files (in Quicktime) (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3375 - HDR over 3G-SDI (guidance) (Q2 2020)
- EBU R 103 v3.0 - Video Signal Ranges explained (Q2 2020)
- EBU HLG Colour Bars Webinar (video recording publicly available) (Q2 2020)
- Dialogue Enhancement roundtable (Q2 2020)
- EBU Tech 3373 - v210 files (in Quicktime) v2.0 (Q3 2020)
- EBU BPN 125 - HDR implementations testing report (Resolve) (Q3 2020)
- EBU Tech Roundtable on Aspect Ratios (Q3 2020)
- EBU Tech 3374 - EOTF Test Chart (Q4 2020)
- EBU Tech 3374 - EOTF Test Chart - TIFF implementation (Q4 2020)
- EBU Tech 3374 - EOTF Test Chart - ProRes implementation (Q4 2020)
- EBU Tech Report 047 - HDR monitors testing report (Q1 2019)
- HFR Subjective Evaluations (Q1 2019) - PTS 2019 results presentation (EBU Members only)
- VMAF Subjective Evaluations (Q1 2019) - PTS 2019 results presentation (EBU Members only)
- EBU Tech Report 050 - HFR Subjective Evaluations report (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3372 - UHD/HDR Service Parameters (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3320 - User Requirements for Video Monitors in Television Production v4.1 (Q3 2019)
- EBU Tech 3325s1 - Test Colours for Grade1 HDR Monitors (Q3 2019)
- EBU HDR Live Production Workshop (Q4 2019)
- AR 'Proof of Concept' applications (5 different ones) (Q1 2018)
- VR Proof of Concept app (Q1 2018)
- EBU BPN 115 - Augmented Reality - A first guide for broadcasters (Q1 2018)
- AV1 vs JEM vs HEVC subjective tests (Q1 2018)
- UHD/HDR in distribution webinar (Q1 2018)
- EBU Tech Review on software for creating CG-based videos and AR/VR apps (Q2 2018)
- Sharing of Montreux Jazz HDR test material with EBU Members (Q2 2018)
- HDR production monitors testing (Q2 2018)
- IMF Fact Sheet (Q3 2018)
- Quality Control Fact Sheet (Q3 2018)
- UHD-HDR-HFR-NGA tests during EAC 2018 (Q3 2018)
- Detailed updates of existing QC Tests (Q4 2018)
- NLE User Group (Q4 2018)
- Sharing of EAC Berlin 2018 UHD-HDR-HFR-NGA test material (Q4 2018)
- EBU R 129 - 'Avoding screen burn-in' (Q4 2018)
- EBU IMF Workshop (Q2 2017)
- AR broadcasters survey (Q3-Q4 2017)
- Report on 'IMF for broadcasters' (Q3 2017)
- IMF Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- EBU R 095 - 'Safe Areas' (Q3 2017)
- Quality Control Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- EBU Tech 3320 - 'Professional Video Monitor Requirements' HDR update (Q3 2017)
- Video Monitors Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- Creation of UHD HDR Test Material + Making Of video (Q3 2017)
- Virtual Reality Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- EBU User Group on VR (Q3 2017 - Q3 2018)
- Implementation of an API for EBU.IO/QC (Q4 2017)
- EBU BPN 114 - Initial Guide on HDR (Q4 2017)
- Exchange of UHD / HDR test files (XAVC) to verify metadata settings (since Q4 2017)*
* To have access to the files, EBU Members need to first join the Video Systems Group.
The EBU Video Systems & Workflows group deals with all aspects of video images, image quality and quality assessment, specifically concerning HDTV, UHDTV, High Dynamic Range and High Frame Rates as well as emerging immersive image systems.
Taking an end-to-end approach from production to distribution and the consumer, the work encompasses all aspects of video processing, investigating production codecs, related file formats and wrappers (e.g. MXF, IMF), workflows and access services and also evaluating practicality and cost aspects.
The Video Systems group provides strategic and technical advice and, through active collaboration with industry and standards bodies such as DVB, ITU-R, SMPTE, and W3C, helps to ensure broadcaster requirements are reflected in future media applications and services.
See the 'activities' section for the curently planned deliverables.
This gorup consists of two parts:
- VS-ALL, which is open to all industry professionals (including equipment manufacturers, research organizations, etc.)
- VS-EBU, which is restricted to EBU Members (public service media organizations)
When you join EBU Video Systems & Workflows, you are automatically added to the appropriate e-mail reflector(s) and given access to the relevant workspaces and other tools.
How we work
The actual work is performed via the e-mail reflector(s) and using additional tools where needed.
Frequent webexes are used to coordinate the work, often focussing on specific work items.
If you have any questions/need help, please contact the coordinator: Frans de Jong (EBU).