The goals for this Strategic Programme are defined in the current EBU T&I Workplan, which runs up to 2023 (updated June 2022) and can be summarized as follows:
- Assist Members in developing and using efficient production workflows.
- Track the evolution of post-production, news and archive systems.
- Enable Members to
- Provide guidance for Members on
- production and contribution codec quality based on testing and benchmarking;
- cloud-based production and future newsroom systems;
- LED wall-based virtual production and CG animation in realtime without mocap suits;
- the future spectrum needs for content production (via the SP Spectrum's PMSE initiative)
- Investigate benefits for Members’ regarding
- cloud-agnostic microservice frameworks for media;
- the impact of metaverse technologies;
- object-based media for accessibility.
- Study and foster Member knowledge sharing on
- processing of multi-versioned content for live and non-live applications;
- using NFTs , e.g. for content repurposing or archives;
- sustainability in production, developing recommendations and best practice.
- Ensure and improve the end-user Quality of Experience.
- Provide a common Quality Control language and a database of QC terms, templates, etc.
- Ensure knowledge sharing on the topics of metadata, machine learning, and computing architectures.
- an Artifical Intelligence (AI) benchmarking framework for facial recognition;
- an EBU facial recognition metadata standard (EBU Core, EBU CCDM);
- a cloud-hosted metadata exchange platform for archives.
- Leverage AI to support all aspects of content production, including the areas of
- fake news detectiont;
- serverless cloud workflows.
- Improve accessibility through personalized services, incl. a focus on moving from linear to non-linear services.
- Continue to promote the use of EBU R 128 for loudness control across all platforms and devices.
Accessibility & Sustainability
- Audio Systems and workflows (personalised sound experiences, radio production and loudness)
Data & AI
- AI and Automatic Metadata Extraction
- AI Benchmarking
- Media Cloud & Microservices
- Metadata & Artificial Intelligence
- Metadata Models
Video & Quality Control
- Video Systems & Workflows
- UHDTV Strategy Support
- HDR Implementation Task Force
- HDR Downmapping
- Video Evaluation
- Quality Control
Communities of practice
EBU Members are invited to join the following communities to share experiences, including problems and solutions:
- Hybrid & Cloud-based Production
- Implementing Open Innovation
- Metadata Developer Network
- TV Anytime User Group
- AI and Data Initiative (AIDI) – a cross-disciplinary strategic EBU initiative