The Media Archives Community of Practice helps EBU Members optimize the use of their archives. It was started initially to cover Radio Archives, but now covers all forms of media. This community is run by EBU Technology & Innovation in close collaboration with the the EBU Academy and the EBU Media Department. It is part of the EBU Strategic Programme on Production.
Based on a survey among EBU Members held in April 2020, this community is now focussed on the following main activities:
1. The exchange of experiences around archives
Anybody working for an EBU Member can join this community and start sharing experiences/questions/suggestions with peers. Make sure to join here. You will be added to a dedicated e-mail reflector and have access to the workspace. There also is a Slack channel on 'media_archives' (and other topics that may interest you).
2. EBU (co-)produced trainings/events on Archives
- On 08 July 2020 we held an EBU Members roundtable on "Workflows for making archives accessible".
- On 29 July 2020 we held an EBU Members roundtable on how to deal with different Aspect Ratios (including for archiving)
- The EBU and INA are looking into online alternatives for a regionial preservation/digitization/valorization course we had planned for later in 2020 (impacted by the COVID-19 crisis).
3. (AI-based) software tools to open up access to Archives
We are currently investigating available tools and identifying detailed Members' needs in the area of annotation, indexing and improving access to archives. If you have ideas/questions about this, please contact: Alexandre Rouxel (EBU)
4. Help to open up archives to the general public
Additional help for EBU Members to overcome rights/legal issues for wider use of their archives is being considered.
- Survey of EBU Members Archives priorities (Q2 2020)
- Roundtable on Archive Workflows (Q3 2020)
- (co-produced) Training on Archives Preservation/Digitization (Q4 2020)