As the amount of content continues to increase, broadcasters are finding it difficult to keep up with manual checks. As a result, it is important for broadcasters to look into automated file-based quality control systems to cope with the large amount of content and the abstract nature of digital files.
Currently the following deliverables are planned for QC (besides normal maintenance). Green indicates the deliverable has already been delivered. Note that deliverables are dependent on enough participation in the work and that the planning is subject to change.
- Addition of QC Tests on IMF (Q2 2021)
- Addition of QC Tests on Subtitling (Q2 2021)
- Quality Control Fact Sheet (Q3 2017)
- Implementation of an API for EBU.IO/QC (Q4 2017)
- EBU.IO/QC release v3.0 (Q4 2017)
- Exchange of UHD / HDR test files (XAVC) to verify metadata settings (since Q4 2017)*
* To have access to the files, EBU Members need to first join the Video Systems Group.
The topic of Quality Control is part of the EBU's Production Strategic Programme.
- Our QC group helps EBU Members optimise the use of their automated Quality Control systems.
- The EBU.IO/QC tool provides access to hundreds of QC Test Items, each with a detailed description of a test that can be performed on audio/visual material.
- A public API is available for automated access to the EBU.IO/QC collection. Users can also create and export sets of QC Items in Templates using the web GUI.
- Guidance on and best practices for the practical implementation of QC is shared via e.g. Technical Review articles and the organisation of workshops and seminars.
- Current focus is on:
- Updating existing QC Tests ("maintenance")
- Adding QC Tests for Subtitling/Captioning
- Adding QC Tests for IMF
If you are interested in Quality Control, join our group on this topic and participate in the discussions.