- Open-source libraries to facilitate the development and the deployment of micro services-based architectures in serverless clouds (Q3 2020)
- Open source workflows for media applications (Q3 2020)
- Launch control: a web-based application to monitor and deploy complex cloud infrastructure (Q3 2020)
- Workflows integrating transcribe services from the AWS, AZURE and Google Cloud platforms (Q3 2020)
- Google platform development and integration in front-end (Q1 2020)
- MCMA Developers Workshop @ Bloomberg (USA) (Q1 2020)
- Code factorisation of FFMPEG and STT benchmarking (Q1 2020)
- Presentation and demonstrations at EBU PTS 2019 (Q1 2020)
- Disseminate micro services-based technology among EBU members;
- Provide tools and libraries to facilitate the development and deployment of workflows for media applications;
- Support EBU members in deloping workflows using MCMA technology.
MCMA is a project of the EBU Metadata & AI group, under the umbrella of the EBU's Strategic Programme on Production. This group builds on, and continues, the Framework for Interoperable Media Services (FIMS).
It's main goal is to develop a set of simplified REST APIs with minimum payload. These APIs allow integration of cloud and in-house based workflows, by combining microservices between (multiple) cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google) and in-house services.
Currently, the work is focussed on the Launch Control application; a user-friendly interface to help designing and monitoring microservices workflows.
Not limited to AI
So far the emphasis has been on Artificial Intelligence (AI) enabled services, such as: speech-to-text, automatic subtitling, translation, text-to-speech, face recognition and identification, emotion detection, speech-to-text evaluation, FFMPEG media transformation. However, developers can easily duplicate and extend the code for other applications.
The MCMA cloud services provide an abstraction on top of provider-specific cloud services, providing cross-provider interoperability. Using the libraries, components and instructions available on github, MCMA offers a turn-key solution ('implementation by example') for cloud infrastructure implementation, deployment and management.
MCMA has been successfully demonstrated at IBC and NAB events since 2017 and in a dedicated developer workshop in 2020.