The next generation of audio experiences will be more immersive, personal and accessible than ever before. It is important that broadcasters look at new file formats to deliver and produce audio in these advanced systems.
Currently the following deliverables are planned (green indicates the deliverable has already been delivered). Note that deliverables are dependent on enough participation in the work and that the planning is subject to change. New deliverables are added regularly.
- AS(Audio Systems), EBU Members only, survey: goals & expectations for 2020 - Workplan (Q1 2020)
- Loudness for streaming - supplement 2 of R128 (Q1 2020)
- PLOUD-ALL survey: goals & expectations for 2020 - Workplan (Q1 2020)
- ADM profiles (Q1 2020)
- NGA comparative survey (BPN - EBU Members only) (Q1 2020)
- OBA Mixing Master Class in english, EBU Members only (Q2 2020)
- Trials (Q2 2020)
- Codec-independen workflow for NGA production deployment (Q1 2019)
- Pilot OBA Mixing Master Class (Q3 2019)
- ADM Guidelines (Q3 2019)
- EBU ADM Renderer - libear (Q2 2019)
- NGA Factsheet (Q4 2019)
- Scene-based audio and higher order ambisonics technology overview (Q4 2019)
- Community of Practice (Q4 2019)
- Help EBU Members to maximise the quality and availability of sound production technology.
- Providee guidance and working documents to help you make the move to new audio systems: audio production and broadcasting are being transformed by new technologies. The next generation of audio experiences will be more immersive than ever before and interactive. It is important that broadcasters look at new file formats to deliver and produce audio in these advanced systems.
- Take into consideration professional users' feedback when making contributions to ITU and ETSI standards and organize seminars and trainings to enable you to use new technologies and share best practice.
The EBU Audio Systems group (formerly FAR) provides guidance to help broadcasters make the move to new (IP-based) audio systems, provides input to ITU and ETSI standardization, and organize seminars and workshops to enable sharing of best practices in new audio production technology.
Audio systems target the development of the missing ecosystem that links content creators with the sound rendering function in end-users devices.
These objectives are driven by the object-based audio (OBA) approach developed in the Audio Definition Model (ADM) of EBUCore.
EBU Audio Systems consists of two parts:
- AS which is restricted to EBU Members (public service media organizations)
- AS-ALL, which includes the EBU members and all industry professionals (including equipment manufacturers, research organizations, etc.)
When you join EBU Audio Systems, you are automatically added to the appropriate e-mail reflector(s) and given access to the relevant workspaces and other tools.
How we work
The actual work is performed via the e-mail reflector(s) and webexes to coordinate the work and keep all in-sync regarding the latest activitities.
The best place to start for an overview of what is going on is AS Workspace.
If you have any questions/need help, please contact the coordinator: Paola Sunna (EBU)
MPEG-H Audio Selected to Enhance Brazilian Digital Television With Immersive and Personalized Sound(2019)
The SBTVD (Sistema Brasileiro de Televisão Digital Brazilian) Forum has selected MPEG-H Audio for inclusion as an additional audio system in the ISDB-Tb specifications.......read more.
NEXT GENERATION AUDIO Optimized audio regardless of where and how it is consumed (EBU 2019)
Next Generation Audio – NGA – will allow consumers to experience audio content in optimized quality wherever and however they consume it. Additionally, metadata will facilitate other valuable features, such as personalization of different audio elements, a key enabler for access services for those with disabilities......read more.
Roland Garros 2019 : An Ultra HD event channel with MPEG-H Audio (2019)
Following up on the experiments already conducted in Ultra-HD at Roland Garros 2018, France Télévisions sets up this year an event channel, available on-air via TNT, satellite and IPTV throughout the two weeks of the tournament.....read more.
Immersive and personalized audio at the Eurovision Song Contest (2019)
The Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) is providing a perfect testing ground for revolutionary audio technology that is transforming the way content is produced and consumed....read more.
The Executive Committee for NorDig decided on Thursday October 4 to approve a new version of specifications of digital TV’s and STB’s (commonly IRD’s) (2018)
Among the novelties in this specification, NorDig Unified Requirements v3.1, is Next Generation Audio (NGA) is now added and is intended to be used for HEVC based services....... read more.
MPEG-H 3D AUDIO BECOMES 3GPP’S STANDARD AUDIO CODEC FOR VIDEO STREAMING OVER MOBILE NETWORKS (2018)
3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project), the united standards body for the global mobile industry, has approved a technical specification for 360° video streaming in its work item “VRStream”. It will be included in 3GPP release 15, the most recent 3GPP release and the first one to specify 5G...... read more.
EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS - AC-4 and MPEG-H Audio (2018)
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) will be leading trials with five EBU Members and 19 industry partners of production workflows to shoot, process, record, and distribute live Ultra High Definition (UHD) content, with High Frame Rates (HFR), High Dynamic Range (HDR), and Next Generation Audio (NGA), at the 2018 European Athletics Championships in Berlin. The event is part of the multi-sport European Championships taking place in Glasgow and Berlin (2nd-12th August).... read more.
Roland Garros (2018)
France Télévisions and the French Tennis Federation, in collaboration with TDF and FRANSAT, a subsidiary of Eutelsat, successfully tested the transmission and reception of MPEG-H Audio immersive sound over DVB-T2 and satellite during the Roland Garros tennis tournament ... read more.
Eurovision Song Contest (2018)
EBU and Frauhnofer IIS conducted a successful live MPEG-H audio production trial during the ESC 2018 ... read more.
Overview of the DVB TS 101 154 (2018)
Overview of the DVB UHD specification TS 101 154 ... read more.
ORPHEUS - Object - Based Audio Experience (December 2015-May 2018)
ORPEHUS is a completed European Commission HORIZON 2020 research project that pioneered the development of an end-to-end object-based media chain for audio content ... read more.
Italy Ultra HD Book 1.0 (2017)
On 19 December 2017, the HDFI in Italy published the “Ultra HD Book 1.0 – Unified Volume” specification, including Dolby AC-4 as its NGA solution. The specification blazes the trail ahead for other countries considering the addition of full UHD features to their receivers and services.... read more.
4EVER-2 Project (2017)
World premiere ! 4EVER-2 is proud to deliver an Ultra HD-TV phase 2 live production, with HD-TV « HFR » 100 frames per second and Dolby AC-4 audio... read more.