The switch from audio peak-normalization to loudness normalization is probably the biggest revolution in professional audio of the last decades. It is important for broadcasters to be aware of the loudness paradigm and how to adopt their systems and working practices accordingly.
How can EBU T&I help?
Our project group on Loudness (PLOUD) helps Members to understand the new loudness metering and levelling. The PLOUD group created the popular EBU R 128 Loudness Recommendation, making sure there is a common, vendor-independent and relatively simple way to measure loudness. The group also provides detailed practical guidelines to help audio professionals make the switch from peak to loudness.
Guidance & tools
- Overview of R 128 publications, tools, presentations, etc.
- EBU R 128: Loudness recommendation
- EBU R 128s1: Loudness Parameters for short-form content
- Tech 3341: Metering specification
- Tech 3342: Loudness range descriptor
- Tech 3343: Practical guidelines
- Tech 3344: Distribution guidelines
- Loudness test set