Innovation is a crucial stepping-stone for making the transition to becoming a fully digital media organization relevant to all audiences. Innovation must be geared towards providing digital audiences with enhanced content and services, on a variety of platforms, while maintaining high production values.
IOI – Implementing Open Innovation – was launched in late 2016 as an initiative jointly coordinated by the EBU Academy and the EBU Technology & Innovation Department. Its main activity is a series of themed visits that participants are invited to join a few times per year.
The aim is to explore how EBU Members – and others – successfully manage to take good ideas from proof-of-concept to prototype, beta version and, hopefully, ‘business-as-usual’ operation. Or, if not, to ensure that they fail quickly and early so as to minimize wasted resources.
IOI Interim Report
- IOI Interim Report, December 2018 (PDF) – EBU Members only; login required
- Examine the structures and processes that make it possible within an organization to generate ideas, develop and test innovations, and eventually ensure a successful transfer into mainstream production.
- Bring to the forefront products and services that allow Public Service Media organizations to better serve digital audiences, such as personalized mobile content.
- Examine the major corporate culture change that the gradual shift to IP, IT, data and cloud-driven technologies brings about; what opportunities it is creating and how it impacts the way professionals work and the way content is produced and published.
- Facilitate sharing and learning of Members' innovation projects and larger innovation programmes (e.g. VRT Sandbox Hub)
IOI participants are invited to join themed visits to Members’ facilities and other innovation hubs, where we can learn and share about collaborative innovation projects, lab experiences, and how such collaborations challenge and benefit organizations from a technical and editorial standpoint.
more to come
For each past IOI event you can find links to a news report and a Members-only workspace page containing further resources.
- 14 June 2021 - Wilfried Runde, Head of Research & Cooperation projects, DW
- 25 May 2021 - Adeline Beving, Open Innovation & Intrapreneurship Manager, Radio France
- 19 April 2021 - Egon Verharen, Innovation Manager, NPO
Themed Visit @Radio France
Paris, 14–15 March 2019
- Radio France embraces an open approach to innovation
- Workspace page
Themed Visit @Red Bull Media House
Salzburg, Austria – 6-7 November 2017
- Transform & Innovate: Members gain insights at RBMH
- Workspace page