EuroVOX is an open toolbox to reduce the cost and complexity of transcription and translation.
EuroVOX consists of two elements: an API to allow integration with production systems and a user-facing tool for navigating, transcribing and translating multilingual content.
With applications for both file-based (on-demand) and streaming use cases, a one-time integration of EuroVOX provides access to a growing array of language tool vendors.
Typically, broadcasters make use of language tools from different vendors to fulfil different use cases. Some tools might be stronger in a given language, or others for a particular type of content. And the quality and performance of these machine-learning-based tools will vary over time as models are updated and refined.
One of the challenges of using multiple tools from multiple vendors is that each additional tool needs to be integrated into your existing production workflows. This leads to added costs over and above the usage fees for the tool itself, and increased risk of vendor lock-in.
EuroVOX is available right now to address these challenges. It gives you the ability to have single API access to multiple language tools from multiple vendors and dynamically select between them depending on the task at hand.
The advantage of implementing EuroVOX on your own infrastructure, even if you use a limited set of vendors, is that it allows the freedom to easily change vendors at a later stage. For example, if your organization decides to start producing content in a new language that requires a new vendor, you can change or add providers at the push of a button.
A one-time integration of EuroVOX avoids the need for additional integrations of other tools later on.
What can it do?
- Increase reach on social media by transcribing and translating short clips for republishing on social networks
- Improve the quality of content recommendations through use of automated transcription
- Searchability of archives can be improved through automated transcription
- Creation of subtitles for file-based or live content, including in alternative languages, thus increasing reach and accessibility
- Quickly collate and translate incoming news sources
- Translate produced news into multiple languages, automatically
- Revoicing of content in alternative languages or for improved accessibility using synthetic speakers
- Broaden access to self-trained language models by integrating them with EuroVOX
- Provides the capability of automatically selecting the language tool to use based on benchmarking data
How do I start using EuroVOX?
For now, EuroVOX is available only to EBU Members, however it will shortly be available as a public open-source project. It is deployed using industry standard development tools.
To deploy the EuroVOX core API, both code and Docker images are available for use in the cloud or entirely on-premise.
Adapters for several different language tool vendors are already available, meaning you only need add your credentials to start using them. Alternatively, writing adapters for additional vendors or your own technology is straightforward.
Do you want know more? Please get in touch!
EBU Members who wish to be informed of the latest developments with EuroVOX should click the Join Group button on this page.