The September 2021 issue of tech-i magazine is now available. The cover features the core team behind the project that won this year's EBU Technology & Innovation Award, "News Values" at Sveriges Radio. The full story of that project is told by Olle Zachrison, SR's Head of Digital News Strategy.
"For some, both outside and inside media companies, the word “algorithm” carries negative connotations, especially in relation to free speech and independent journalism. The term is associated with commercially driven tech products that run without human intervention to maximize clicks and profit."
The magazine also includes articles on each of the three other shortlisted projects for the 2021 T&I Award, two from BBC and one from Rai. Elsewhere, there are updates on two European projects where the EBU is active on behalf of Members, GAIA-X and 5G-RECORDS; an opinion piece from Rai CTO Stefano Ciccotti; new guidance on loudness for radio; and a report on the innovative new EBU-driven digital news tools that are benefitting journalists and readers alike. Writing about the latter, Antonio Arcidiacono believes the project has helped to show the sustainable path to innovation and growth for PSM:
"It is clear that EBU Members will need to outsource services to external companies, both the tech giants like Amazon, Google and Microsoft and the traditional media technology vendors. But by building together we can establish a common position that strengthens our ability to influence those companies and guarantee the interchangeability of suppliers."
Inside issue 49
- A recipe that works – let’s use it! – Antonio Arcidiacono on the benefits of building together
- Changing the way Europeans find the news – Visitors to EBU Member sites are offered A European Perspective
- Being loud about loudness, for the benefit of radio listeners – The EBU has produced new guidelines on loudness and radio
- EBU joins GAIA-X to ease cloud adoption for PSM in Europe – How media can benefit from a new European initiative
- 5G-RECORDS: making 5G work for the storytellers – The 5G-RECORDS project is tackling production use cases for 5G
- How EBU Members are doing more with metadata – A selection of projects from this year’s Metadata Developer Network workshop
- An algorithm to promote unique public service journalism – Sveriges Radio’s News Values project won the 2021 EBU T&I Award
- Adapt, invent, evolve – news tools for a pandemic – 2021 EBU T&I Award runner-up project from BBC, UK
- Rai Virtual LIS: an avatar for sign language applications – 2021 EBU T&I Award runner-up project from Rai, Italy
- BBC’s new home for radio, music and podcasts – 2021 EBU T&I Award runner-up project from BBC, UK
- Towards a greater understanding of the carbon impacts of video streaming – Important new research from the Carbon Trust and DIMPACT
- In my opinion: Why IP networks and data management are the top priorities – Chief Technology Officer at Rai, Stefano Ciccotti
- Partner Profiles: 5G-MAG – An important player in the emerging 5G-based ecosystem for media production and distribution
- 2020: a record year for digital media – The latest research from the EBU Media Intelligence Service
- In the spotlight: Stephan Heimbecher – Directorate Technology and Production, Consultant, SWR
- EBU Business Concepts Model – Poster based on the work of the EBU Capability Map group
Download issue 49 of tech-i (PDF).