As EBU Members and other media companies continue to move services and applications to the cloud, they are concerned about vendor lock-in, data sovereignty, GDPR compliance and environmental sustainability. In addition, media companies face technical and business challenges such as real-time and large file transfers, semantic data interoperability, and cost effectiveness.
The Gaia-X association aims to ensure European companies can access cloud platforms that are secure, interoperable and energy efficient, and that guarantee data privacy and sovereignty. It also seeks to foster a cloud ecosystem aligned with European values and laws, enabling vertical and horizontal chains where data can be easily exchanged but still controlled within trusted data spaces.
As a Gaia-X member, and drawing on this working group, the EBU federates media needs at a European scale, defines use cases, consolidates media-specific requirements, and participates in the definition of GAIA-X specifications. Our goals are competitive multi-cloud solutions that meet media-specific challenges, including at the network edges, can easily be interconnected, configured and decommissioned, and that guarantee secured and controlled access to media data.
The EBU also promote the creation of a European media vertical and data spaces that will not only meet existing needs but also generate new business opportunities across the entire media supply chain.
The group consists of EBU Members and other European actors in the media industry.
- Elaborates EBU position, representing European media actors at Gaia-X events
- Organizes regular EBU events and develop reports to share on Gaia-X activities, events and publications
- Get insights from other EBU groups, e.g. DPO (Data Protection officers), HCP (Hybrid Cloud Production) and MCS (Media Cybersecurity) for the definition of EBU position at Gaia-X
- Defines and publishes a list of media use cases that Gaia-X compliant services shall support
- Consolidates media-specific requirements for Gaia-X federated catalogue of services that enable the media use cases
- Contributes to the definition of Gaia-X policies and specifications that answer to media specific challenges
- Shares experience and facilitate the adoption of Gaia-X services by EBU Members
- Drives the creation of a media data space within GAIA-X
- Explores opportunities to create or take part of EU-funded projects to develop sector-specific applications and data space within GAIA-X framework
- Supports a wider adoption of standards, including standard ontologies for data and metadata exchanged between actors in the media sector, that are required for the creation of industry-wide data space
- Determines if a contribution to the technical work of the Gaia-X technical committee is required, where relevant for EBU Members (e.g. development of media-specific ontology)
- Liaises with other European media associations
- Evangelizes for the adoption of Gaia-X by media industry