EBU Members and other broadcasters rely on radio spectrum for content creation and distribution. Whether it is assessing the health hazards from wireless production tools, broadcast distribution, or WiFi, the EIC group provides advice to members on the best ways to ensure compliance with regulations. The EIC group also supports the protection of both people and services vital for broadcasting.
The working group on Electromagnetic Interference and Compatibility (EIC) is part of the EBU's Strategic Program on Spectrum.
Content creation and distribution relies on access to good quality radio frequency spectrum that is free from sources of harmful interference. Interference to our wireless production and distribution technologies not only originates from other licenced services but from the multitude of electrical and electronic devices we all use every day. In an increasingly connected digital world we must also ensure that technologies used to deliver internet services are protected. In order to achieve these aims, members of the EIC represent the interests of broadcasting at international bodies such as the ITU, Standards Development Organisations, and the European Union.
In support of the primary goals of the Strategic Programme on Spectrum, S-EIC will:
- Protect the broadcasting services, wireless production tools and IP systems used by EBU Members, from possible threats arising from all aspects of EMC and changes to the electromagnetic environment.
- Provide EBU Members with guidance on RF hazard issues with regards to human exposure and safety, including methods of measurement.
- Promote EBU Members’ interests and influence the development of standards and regulations to protect the quality of spectrum used by broadcasters for the creation and distribution of content.
Interference can seriously harm service quality
Pictures: examples of 'macro blocking' as a result of interference.
- Key aspects of RF hazards (news)
- EMC and Standardisation overview
- Relevant EBU Technical Reports and Technical Reviews
- EBU TR 066 – Review of the 2020 Guidelines of the International Commission on Non-ionizing Radiation
- EBU TR 067 – RF radiation hazards arising from bonded cellular ENG equipment
- EBU Tech Review 309 RFI – Protecting the terrestrial broadcasting services from new interference sources
- EBU Tech Review 307 Stott – Potential threats to radio services from PLT systems
- "Wireless everything and electromagnetic interference - keeping the airwaves clean" (presentation, webinar recording)