Non-CRT flat panel displays (FPDs) are increasingly substituting traditional CRT based displays in the television production environment. There is concern amongst the EBU members that these FPDs behave differently from the formerly used "grade one CRT monitors". This EBU project studies the implications of using non-CRT Flat Panel Displays (FPDs) in the television production environment.
1. To provide a state of the art report, including:
- User requirements and application areas for FPDs in television production.
- Display technologies currently in use or soon to be brought to the market.
- Recommendations/specifications avaivable today and understanding of which are still required.
- Measurement specifications and test signals suitable to characterise FPDs.
- Characterisation of how images on FPDs differ from images on CRTs and from the source input.
2. To provide a recommendation on the use of FPDs in different applications within the television production environment.
3. To set up active discussions with vendors of FPDs on the findings of the group.