||Hybrid and Digital Radio technical activities|
STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE TO EBU MEMBERS: Radio is the only "telecommunication" service where the primary distribution mechanism is still predominantly analogue. Therefore, radio has to evolve while retaining its identity. It must be able to reach the consumer with new greater value content, delivered to affordably price receivers. In this context it is necessary a European harmonization at several levels (planning, adoption, deployment, new developments, etc.) in order to achieve the desired economies of scale to achieve an effective migration from analogue to digital.
PROBLEMS/CHALLENGES: Digital radio seems not to be a priority for the EU Commission, which does not take action based on the principle of subsidiarity. Beside this, there's not a strong commitment (with exceptions) from the main actors involved in its deployment. The European economic situation could be also become a negative factor for an effective migration.
BUSINESS IMPACT: Currently, EBU members with digital broadcast sustain both analogue and digital networks. Unless the transition is made this will have to continue. Promoting the transition is essential to increasing the reach and minimize the costs for broadcasters.
VALUE FOR THE MEMBERS:
• Positioning of digital radio as a mass media with regard to his audience: more attractive and evolved, with a higher perception of quality
• Drastic reduction of the operating expenses (after analogue switch-off)
RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES: digital radio standards (DAB+, DRM), hybrid radio, APIs for mobile, etc.
HIGH LEVEL OBJECTIVES
• Maintenance of the software tools have already been published by EBU Technical. This work is closely linked to the work on Hybrid Radio
• Try to establish a link with mobile phone industry for API access, apps, etc.
• With the RadioDNS infrastructure in place and pilots running in 2011-12, continue to develop (a) further test-case trials using various radio formats and (b) live services based on the production platform by EBU Member broadcasters.
• RadioDNS server installation and optimisation. The on-going promotional effort will continue for the lifetime of this plan
• Maintenance of the Radiohack community
See also: RadioHack